Back to Postcards and Photos of Jefferson County

 

GREETINGS FROM ADAMS NY!!

1918 Farm Map
1864 Map East Half

Main St
including
North & South

1864 Map West Half Memorabilia
Unidentified location in Adams

 

Source: HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY, NEW YORK -- Franklin B. Hough -- Watertown, New York --- Sterling & Riddell --- 1854

(From Childs’ Gazetteer (Publication of 1890)

ADAMS is situated in the southern part of the county, and is bounded on the north by Hounsfield and Watertown, east by Rodman, south by Lorraine and Ellisburgh, and west by Henderson. It is watered by the north branch of Sandy Creek and many tributary brooks in the south, and by Stony Creek, with numerous small branches, in the northern part. Both streams are fed by springs and afford permanent water-power, which has been utilized. The surface of the town is generally level, except in the northwestern part, which is somewhat broken by the lake ridge which here traverses the town. The territory was originally timbered with maple, beech, birch, elm, and butternut, a considerable area of which yet remains. Cedar and pine also prevailed, and contributed largely to the early wealth of the town. The soil is generally fertile---a black mold, sandy loam, or a loam somewhat mixed with clay, underlaid by limestone, with outcroppings of this rock on high ground. There is very little waste land in the town, a portion of the most elevated being susceptible of cultivation. That which seems most sterile affords excellent grazing.

This town was formed from Mexico, April 1, 1802. It received its name in honor of President John Adams, and included No. 7, or Aleppo, and No. 8, or Orpheus, of the “Eleven Towns,” or the “Black River Tract.” This area was maintained until No. 8 became a separate town, with the name of Rodman, March 24, 1804. (read More...)

Evidence of early Indians:

In Adams there was a large earthwork by the Watertown line, near Appling, which Squier describes as being on the second terrace, with seven gates and an outside ditch. This was 600 feet long and had pits within. The skeletons were found in a sitting position. A smaller enclosure was half a mile from Adams village, and about 500 feet long. It is said to have produced pipes. pottery and beads. A silver star was found here and was probably accidental. Two miles north was another larger than the one near Appling, from which it was 1.5 miles distant. In barber's Historical Collection Of New York, publishd in 1841, the many earthworks are mentioned. The writer also says: "There have been also discovered seven of the tumular remains of moderate height with the ditcj encircling them, an area from a half to two acres each"

 

Unknown in Adams:

This farmhouse in Adams New York was necessary to the birth of manufacturing
and supply unit of the Bell System. The house and land or mortgage for $400 by the mother
of Enos Barton one of Western electrics three founders who use the money in January 1869
to form a partnership with George Shawk.

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

1920 Snow Storm...taken by George Whitford

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

Pierce Boarding House, location unknown:

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

Minstrels at Field Day

 

ELMWOOD AVENUE

Below 1980

Originally Elmwood Avenure was shaded by rows of elms set by Mr Cleveland who was the organizer of this cemetery in 1867.
James A Cleveland's monument was set at the center of the cemetery. He had his relatives which were buried in New England brought
here to be reburied. Some as far back as 1722 are now in Elmwood. It s noted for its beauty: flowing hills, a brook, trees, a small wooden
bridge and is one of the most beautifully designed cemeteries in the area.

 

Revolutionary War Veterans buried in the Village of Adams:

Jonathan Lamson (2/20/1755 - 12/6/1807)
Alpheus Dwight (4/7/1870 - 9/7/1845)

 

BACK TO TOP

 

FIFTH AVENUE

Off to the left down West Church Street is a very short road called Fifteh Avenue which is how one would enter into
these old foundations.

Below, 1980

C N Snyder and Sons and behind it is the old Webster Sash and Lumber Compnay which a[[ears on the 1864 map as
Holman and Withington Machine and Foundry Shops.

 

BELOW, taken 1980

C N Snyder and Son buildings. This was once the F L Webster Lumber Mill.

 

 

Below, 1980:

The back view of C N Snyder as seen from Liberty Street

 

 

 

GRANGE AVENUE (once called River St)

 

Grange Avenue begins at Main Street on the north side corner of the creek. There was a
building at this corner called the Cook Building which had fallen into the creek. Now is a little
public park area.

In the Cook Building, Daniel Lamson, born 1836, of Lorraine had a boot and shoe store and later
Lamson's Meat Market. I also remember a Billiards Hall and a clothes store being there. There are still steps
visible that walk down where the entrance used to be

1864

1888


Below, 1980

House once owned by Adelia Button being torn down by Ray R Dockstader

.

 

Below 1980:

 

Owned by Gordon Dobbins in 1980, was once a factory which manufactured salve and liniments. It was made by H O Kenyon and marketed
under the name of Dr Hale's Liniment. It was located on Grange Avenue, once called River Street. Later is was used as an auction barn

Below 1980:

Dr Austin K Hale, born 1850, son of Dr Austin P Hale, from Massachusetts, sold his salves and made them here. He aso was a
trustee of the Adams Furniture and Manufacturing Company established 1888. D A Dwight was the president. The building from
which they operated were two 50x100 feet and three stories and 50x100 feet, two stories.

Below 1980:

 

This building, was Ken's Auto Body. It was bought by the South Jefferson Historical Society. They were removing the siding which revealed these words underneath.
This is also the site where Will Dixon had his gun shop.

BACK TO TOP

 

GROVE STREET

 

Grove Street was the main road instead of South Main Street. It was a forerunner of Route 11. On it was located the Maple Grove Place
and Stock Farm on which R P White raised celebrated horses

 

"MAPLE GROVE PLACE AND STOCK FARM


Maple Grove Place and Stock Farm, located in the southerly part of Adams village, on Grove street, was established by the present proprietor, R. P. White, in 1859. Among the most celebrated horses raised and owned by him the following are particularly worthy of mention: “Capt. Emons,” with a record of 2.19-1/4, sold for $5,500; “Wizz,” 2:23-1/4; “Buzz,” 2:28; “Rufus,” 2:29; “Venus,” 2:31, who sold for $3,500; four mares—”Floss,” “Silk,” “Satin,” and “Velvet,” three of whom were valued at more than $6,000. “Whitewood,” raised by Mr. White, when less than three years old trotted a mile in 2:24. Mr. White is one of the most noted horsemen in the state."

Below 1980

St Cecelia 's Church. The Well Baby Clinics used to be held here.

Below 1980...the nuns live here for St Cecelia's church

.

BACK TO TOP

 

HIGH STREET

BACK TO TOP

 

 

HUNGERFORD AVENUE

1980 view looking out Hungerford Ave toward North Park St. The street was named in
honor of General Solon D Hungerford

 

BACK TO TOP

 

LIBERTY STREET

 

Adams at one time had an Engine and Hose Company and
Hook and Ladder. The Tempest Fire Company was established 1853 with 44 men

It had a wooden five story bell tower to the left of the station and it also housed the
village jail.

BELOW:

On May 27, 1852, the village was divided into five wards, and bylaws and regulations were adopted. These laws have been subsequently revised as the growth and interests of the village seemed to demand. The territory was also divided into three fire wards, or districts, and an appropriation of $650 was voted to purchase a fire engine. With this money the trustees purchased a "Button engine," and in 1853 Tempest fire company of 44 men was duly formed.

The Adams fire department, however, had its origin in a company formed in the village as early as 1836. A subscription fund was raised and a small crank-engine was purchased. Previous to this time there had been few serious fires in the village, but in later years, particularly in 1860 and 1866, several valuable buildings and much property were destroyed. On Dec. 15, 1860, a fire burned Saunders & Holman's machine shop, the Carter and Skinner blocks, Rosa's store and Doxtater's corner store. The conflagration of April, 1866, destroyed nearly all the business -buildings on the east side of Main street, including the Whipple block and the Whitney house.

The 1864 Map shows an Engine House located near the corner of Liberty and Main Streets.

Adams NY


Below in 1980 Village of Adams Water Pollution Control Plant

Below in 1980...looking out Liberty St

 

 

BUILDING WITH IRON BARS ON WINDOWS...

Below in 1980

An odd looking vacant House...the floor was a dirt floor

Along Liberty Street bank was a cheese factory established 1864 by Huestis, Lewis and Ingraham.

BELOW:

The Roy Green house, now (in 1980) used by K-B Motors (now gone) on Liberty Street was at one time
E D Spicer's candle and soap factory which showed on the 1864 map.
Also at this site once stood the A V Bettinger Carriage Manufactory

in 1980: the brick building was owned and occupied by Orville Fink and the small white house at the very
back was inhabited by Fannie Livermore. At one time it was a photography studio.

Below her house is the "Green" house.

 

BACK TO TOP

 

PARK STREET - NORTH

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

 

Adams NY

Adams NY

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

Adams NY

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

Homes on Park Street

 

Adams NY

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

BELOW:

1980

BELOW:

1980, looking down South Park St from E Church St. The brick building is the Baptist parsonage which was occupied (in 1980)
by Reverend Peter Bolster and family. The white building with the big white columns is Piddock's Funeral Parlor at that time.

\

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

BELOW

1980

Outer Park Street near Doxtator Street. Bedor Farms

BELOW

1980

Outer Park Street near Doxtator Street. Bedor Farms

BACK TO TOP

 

PARK STREET - SOUTH
(once called Factory St)

Adams NY

Below 1980

Once a Free Methodist Church on the corner of Spring and South Park Sts.

All Along Sandy Creek area were many old mostly abandoned factories. The Roy Green house, now (in 1980) used by K-B Motors (now gone) on Liberty Street
was at one time E D Spicer's candle and soap factory.

About where O D Greene's was in 1980, was a woolen factory established by Julius Fox; 1860 sold to various owners over the years, for example
W R Willis Jr, and then in 1884 to WIlliam Wheeler; 1889 to W H Proctor of Ogdensburg who formed the Adams Lumber Company. There was a planing mill
and a blind and sash mill established in 1860 by W C Wheeler.

Opposite the bank where Grange Avenue now runs was a tannery owned by the Weavers.

Along Liberty Street bank was a cheese factory established 1864 by Huestis, Lewis and Ingraham.

About opposite the creek was Holman & Withington Foundry and Machine Shop.

Along Spring Street bank about wher ethe Niagara Mohawk sublet is (in 1980) was a Brewery and Malt House owned by Kellogg & Patrick.

 

ADAMS LUMBER COMPANY


Mills were established by Julius Fox about 1860 for dressing lumber and manufacturing doors, blinds, moldings, and builders’ supplies. In 1864 the works were purchased by William H. Wheeler, who subsequently (in 1865 or 1866) bought the old woolen factory by the bridge and converted the building into an addition to his works. M

r. Wheeler continued the business until April, 1889, when it was purchased by W. H. Proctor, of Ogdensburg, who immediately formed the Adams Lumber Company, with W. H. Proctor, J. G. Idler, Thomas F. Strong, and George L. Ryan, of Ogdensburg, and J. A. Cameron and W. L. Pratt, of Adams, as partners.

The company manufactures and deals at wholesale and retail in lumber, and as contractors are prepared to erect buildings of any kind. The works are located on Factory street - now South Park Street - Adams village.

O D Greene was originally in Adams Center

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

 

 

 

BACK TO TOP

 

 

PHELPS STREET

Below 1980,

Photo of Dairylea at 23 Phelps St

.

Below 1980

Greenley Fuel Company.

Below 1980

Looking down the western half of Phelps Strret. The VFW post is located here

BACK TO TOP

 

 

SPRING STREET

Below in 1980

House owned by Larkins. The site of an old school house, No 6, possibly the old Fox School

 

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

 

 

BELOW 1980

Along Spring Street bank about where the Niagara Mohawk sublet is (in 1980) was a Brewery and Malt House owned by Kellogg & Patrick.

 

\

BELOW:

1980, Old house owned by Ken Reardon

BACK TO TOP

 

 

 

WARDWELL STREET

Below 1980

Looking out Wardwell St at the W Rice Building.

Dr Rice of Smithville, and his father-in-law W A Collins, once manufactured "Rupture Cure." The building was originally a grade school
and was bought by Rice. It burned and was rebuilt in 1920. Lallies, a producer of thermal materials, also operated from this building

Just past Rice's to the right is a short street called Bond Streetwhich connects Wardwell street to North Park Street. Also, just after
the bowling alley to the left is Institute Street which connects Wardwell Street with North Main Street.

 

Below This is an old photo of the former rice rupture cure now WS rice inc and home of the
Adams grade school before building burn in 1920s.

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

BELOW: Image from the 1909 Firemens' Souvenier Book:

 

Below 1980

looking down Wardwell St at what was the Adams Bowling Club.
It was originally a warehouse owned by W Rice

BACK TO TOP

 

 

 

 

HOME
Do you have corrections or more stuff to add?? Email Me