Back to Postcards and Photos of Jefferson County

PIERREPONT MANOR - 1864 MAP

Ellisburgh was part of the Town of Mexico, until 1803, when it became a separate jurisdiction of Oneida County. It then included what is now the Town of Henderson, which was set off 17 February 1806, leaving Ellisburg some 67 square miles of territory. Thus Ellisburgh is bordered by Lake Ontario on the west, Towns of Henderson and Adams on the North, Lorraine on the east, and the remainder of its boundary is Oswego County. Created a township 22 February 1803, it boasted some of the earliest settlers in Jefferson County. Settlements included Ellisburgh, Belleville, whose Union Academy was the main educational institution of its time for the area, and Mannsville, all of which still maintain postoffices. Lesser hamlets are Pierrepont Manor, Woodville, Wardwell Settlement, and Rural Hill.

Pierrepont Manor Old Feed Store May 1981

 

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

 

 

 

 

 

BELOW:

Pierrepont Manor Zion Church... One of the finest and most unique early American organs in the
country is used every Sunday in Zion Church Pierrepont Manor. E Power Biggs noted recorder of
Organ music and Miss Barbara Owen president of the Oregon Historical Society of Cambridge
Massachusetts visited the church in 1959 to record music from the Oregon built in the 1830s.
A letter from Mrs. Biggs to the parish noted that the group had not found another instrument to
compare in tone and condition with the Zion Church Oregon. Zion Church was built in 1836.

 

 

THE TRAIN DEPOT:

 

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

THE FLYER

 

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

 

Prominent Grenell family farm

 

 

PIERREPONT MANOR NY

 

THE MILK PLANT:

 

PIERREPONT MANOR NY

 

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

 

 

BELOW:

Pierrepont Manor old manor house... This three-story frame house was constructed in 1826 by
William Constable Pierrepont.

In Pierrepont's day the home was heated with Franklin stoves. William Constable was a great Episcopal Church churchman
and in 1836 built Zion Episcopal church across from the manor house and land office.

PIERREPONT MANOR NY

PIERREPONT MANOR NY

THE LAND OFFICE

BELOW:

Constable Pierrepont was only 19 when he came to Pierrepont Manor in 1822 to manage extensive
Northern New York lands of his father Hezekiah beers Pierpont.

At one time he owned almost 500,000 Acres. It was in 1822 that young Pierrepont built his land office
pictured above on Railroad Street. He built his Manor House in 1826 and married Cornelia Butler of Oxford.
He was descended from Mormons and John Pierrepont of England who came to the colonies in 1640.
His mother was the daughter of William Constable the great land baron who died in 1803. At his death
Hezekiah Beers Pierrepont became one of the executor of the estate and at one time he owned almost
500,000 acres. It was in 1822 that young Pierrepont built his land office picture above on Railroad Street.

He built his manor house in 1826 and married Cornelia Butler of Oxford. He was descended from Mormons
and John Pierrepont of England who came to the colonies in 1640 his mother was the daughter of
William constable the great land bearing who died in 1803. At his death Hezekiah Beers Pierrepont became
one of the executor of the estate and it was to settle the estate that William constable Pierrepont was sent
here and so built the land office. The building is now the property of the Pierrepont Manor Improvement Club Inc.

In 1851 William Constable Pierrepont was elected president of the Watertown and Rome Railroad.
Mr. Pierrepont died in 1885 and 12 years later his executor sold the manor house property to
William and Florence McConnell. In August 1929 the land office was sold to Oliver J McConnell of
Henderson and in 1930 OJ McConnell deeded the property to the Improvement Club. It is used as a meeting
place for this organization.

PIERREPONT MANOR NY

 

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

near the rail line

 

PIERREPONT MANOR NY

ABOVE: Hotel and tracks Pierrepont Manor NY