Back to Postcards and Photos of Jefferson County

 

GREETINGS FROM HENDERSON AND HENDERSON HARBOR!

- 1864 Map

 

BELOW:

Kent home at Henderson about 150 years ago Thomas Dobson Junior a native of England built this
Stone House of native limestone. It is located just a mile west of Henderson Village on Route 3. A son
Thomas Dobson who married Julia Ann Alden and they had a daughter Mary Elizabeth who married
Melvin G Weaver in 1882. It was from Weaver that the property was sold to Fred L Jones in 1911.
Not far from the back of the home, the balloon Atlantic landed July to 1859 terminating the record-breaking
flight from St Louis Missouri supposedly on route to New York City. Thomas Dobson Jr. was a
revolutionary Soldier and is buried just a few miles away in Carpenter cemetery on Route 3.

The home is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. David J Kent who purchased it from Mr. and Mrs. John E Jones.
Mrs. Kent came from Bridgeport Connecticut which was also the home of the original Mr. Dobson who
came here by Ox team. his wife Fanny Whittier was a cousin of the famous American poet John Greenleaf Whittier.

BELOW:

Aspinwall house the old Aspinwall home at the junction of Route 3 Harbor Road and Military Highway, now owned by
Mrs. Mae Pickslay Robinson, was a stopover place for Stonewall Jackson on his daily hikes from Henderson to the harbor.
The general was in Henderson for 6 weeks of treatment for a stomach condition from Dr. Lowery Barney.


The Reverend Seth W Remington died in one of the bedrooms in the old home. He was visited several times by his son
Frederic Remington famous painter of Western scenes. In the days of the Underground Railroad Harriet Aspinwall
made it a station for runaway slaves.

The home was owned by Channing Barnes in 1936. Barnes, a grandson of David M and Harriet Alden Aspinwall
was a direct descendant of John Alden and Priscilla Mullins.

Salmon Aspinwall a Vermonter who married Mary Montague of Bennington Vermont and 1804 settled here in 1806
and built the old part of the house erecting the main part in 1820.

 

BELOW:

Old Montague home located on Water Street on the south side of Stony Creek just across from where Deacon fellows built
the saw and Grist Mills which started the settlement of Henderson Village originally Salisbury Mills in 1807.
Herbert E Montague, born in Henderson in 1825, was a son of Davis and Elizabeth Hungerford Montague and
David, son of Adonijah and Mary Simonds Montague who was born in Pawlet Vermont in 1795.

Adonijah one of the earliest Settlers of Henderson was born in Sunderland Massachusetts in 1757, moving to
Bennington Vermont and fought with the colonial army at the Battle of Bennington. The home was passed up
to the Montague family to Glenn J Montague, lumber dealer and fishing guide at Henderson.

Early owners were Edward L Everson who purchased it in 1914 from Mrs. Helen J Greene. Mrs. Greene had
purchased the place from Clara L Snow and husband Goodwin M in 1908. In a partition sale April 7th 1908 they
purchased the interests of other heirs of her mother including Mrs. Laura Barney.

Lamort Barney husband of Mrs. Bernie was the son of dr. Lowery Barney early Henderson position and friend of Confederate
General Stonewall Jackson. The home is now owned Art Dieli

 

BELOW:

Henderson Hotel.... Back in the good old days Henderson sported a hotel on Main Street.
The New York house pictured housed many tourist to Vacation area.
Notice that luxurious touring car parked at the curb

 

 

BELOW:

Built 156 years ago this Old Stone home owned by Mr. and Mrs. Leland Rhodes Alexander
corner on Route 3 in Henderson was built by Eaton Alexander and Oliver Bates in 1820.
Alexander, born in 1808, was the great-great grandfather of Hugh D Laird former owner
of the home.

The house was constructed of huge stones from nearby Fields each one hewn to proper size.
The walls descend to The Cellar bottom 10 ft below the ground level and are nearly two feet thick.
Wooden hooks were used throughout the building rather than nails or pegs.
Huge Oak beam support the oak floors and framework.

Owners in chronological order have been Oliver Bates, T O Whitney, Eaton Alexander,
Mrs. Mattie Green, Belleville, Doctor Laid and the present owners.

Oliver Bates first owner of the house was a leader in the Mormon faith and later
joined Brigham Young pilgrimage to Utah. The Mormon church was founded
April 6th 1830 nearly 10 years after the home of the Mormon Bates was built at
Alexander Corners, establish that the followers of the Mormon faith in this vicinity where
of the earliest Believers and were part of the movement which founded the present day
Salt Lake City under Brigham Young.

 

BELOW:

Hart Homestead. Former hart Homestead one of the oldest. The former William Hart Homestead
now owned by John W Beenfield is one of the oldest home still standing in the area. It was built in
1830 by William Hurt grandfather of Miss Delia Hart who died in 1950 at the age of 84.
The family Homestead located just outside of Adams on the Henderson Road was owned by the
Hart family until Miss Hart's death. Miss Hart's grandfather, William, held a first Lieutenant's
Commission in the War of 1812. The original Farm included what is now the Gleason Farm
part of the Overton and Howard farms and the former Henry Hart farm, a
nd George Hart,
Miss Hart's uncle and father, raising steers

 

BELOW:

"Henderson 'Century' Farm

West of Adams in the town of Henderson an Archway of rugged Maples spanning route
178 marks the approach to the Overton Homestead a 370 Acre Farm which has been in the
family since 1859. Floyd C Overton bought some of the first registered Holstein
cattle to the county.

The farm operation has been built around continued Improvement of this good Holstein
herd some heifers of which are pictured. Joel Overton is believed to have migrated by
Ox cart with his large family from Long Island to Jefferson County about 1830.
His son Elijah also farmed in this County.

His son Joshua W Overton purchased the present Farm in 1859. It consisted of 235 Acres.
The second owner Floyd C Overton farmed in partnership with his father. In 1893
the 14 room home pictured above was built from Lumber cut on the farm.

The Next Generation Kent A, likewise farmed in partnership with his father.

In 1946 the present owner Richard M Overton went into partnership with his father and
assume ownership in 1960. Other area Century Farms include the one owned by
William Chamberlain and the Merrell Dodge Farm. Farming has been this communities
economic backbone through all these years and present-day Century Farms are
typical of the old Family Farm modernized to cope with Changing Times.

 

 

BELOW:

Burnham Quimby home.. the home in Henderson Village now occupied by attorney of
Mrs. William Quimby was the birthplace of Daniel Hudson Burnham famous architect who
built the first of the world's tallest buildings. He coined the term skyscraper.

Mr. Burnham was descended from a pilgrim who located in Ipswich Massachusetts in 1635.
Daniel H Burnham was born in the Stone House September for 1846. The home has 10 rooms
with four large fireplaces. The home was reputed to have been built by Burnham's
great-grandfather Nathan Burnham about 1828. After the Chicago Fire architect
Burnham had much to do with designing and rebuilding the city. The stone home was
formerly owned by Harley Scott and the Ferguson family.

 

 

BELOW:

Bishop Street Road - old home with gas pumps, and a large barn across the road 1981

Bishop Street Road - old home with gas pumps, and a large barn across the road 1981

 

 

Bishop Street Road - Stone house was the site of the first Post Office for the Bishop Street Road community, once a thriving little area.

HENDERSON NY

HENDERSON NY

HENDERSON NY

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

 

 

 

BELOW: Henderson Library and Post Office:

 

BELOW: Old Henderson School District No 8

 

 

 

Belleville's First School Bus:

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

 

 

BELOW: photo from 2005 Jefferson county Journal Commemorative publication:

 

 

 

 

 

BISHOP STREET ROAD

 

 

Bishop Street Road Church

 

 

BUTTERVILLE

 

BELOW:

Former Robbins home. This Old Stone home on the Butterville road built in the early 1820s
was in the Robin's family for many years. Harold Robbins was born there and his father
Glenn Robbins on the home for many years. Before that Willis Robbins and uncle
was the owner. Present (in 1976) owners are Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Hunter...

 

 

ROBERTS CORNERS SCHOOL: