Back to Postcards and Photos of Jefferson County

GREETINGS FROM ADAMS CENTER NY!

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

Old Aerial View

 

 

BELOW:

Adams Center Knapp's store.. old store still operates. The old Jonathan Davis store at left opened in 1830 has
been an operation since that time. It is now known as Knapp's Hardware. The first to start settlement in Adams
Center were Hiram and Lumen Arms, who established wagon shop in 1822. The building was once owned by
the Greene family and after a number of transfers was purchased by Ray F and Mabel B Crandall.
Mr. Crandall operated a hardware store there for several years. It was once a partnership with
DeWitt W Withington who was a grandfather of Dr. Lawrence Withington who practices in Watertown.

 

BELOW: The W A Denison seed company produced work for many people in the area for many years.
Its Adam center location is pictured in this old photo. Mr. Denison was prominent in local Affairs and his son William
served as supervisor of Adams and is now a member of the Thousand Island Bridge Authority

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

large Victorian on Church St (recently burned)

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

Church St

Adams Center NY

ABOVE: Aerial view Adams Center NY

Adams Center NY

ABOVE: Main St Adams Center NY

Adams Center NY

ABOVE: The Square Adams Center NY

Adams Center NY

ABOVE: Castle Cabins Adams Center NY

Adams Center NY

ABOVE: The Square Adams Center NY

Adams Center NY

ABOVE: Main St Adams Center NY

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

 

 

BELOW: Bygone era, the days when railroad service was frequent in the North country has long since been replaced by Auto and
airplane. Once regular passenger stops were made at all small towns along the way. This old photo shows passenger waiting
for the 4 at Adams Center.

BELOW:

Adams Center Hotel Walts.. horses were in style when this photo was taken of the
hotel Walts and Livery in Adams Center

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

Street unknown

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

White's (used to be Fassett's)

 

 

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

White's (used to be Fassett's)

 

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

White's (used to be Fassett's)

 

BELOW: Image from the 2005 Jefferson Co Journal Commemorative Publication:

Kay's Red Restaurant

 

 

BELOW:

Talcott... Stagecoach stop... 150 years ago this fine Old Stone home now owned by
Dr. and Mrs. John E Richmond near Talcotts Falls was a Tavern in Stagecoach stop. One of the many
through the area. Daniel Talcott built the tavern from native limestone in 1824. Long ago abandoned as a
Tavern and Stage stop for many years it was the home of Arthur E green and his father Edward S Green
before him. Major Daniel Talcott was born at Windsor Connecticut January 22 1771. In 1805 he purchased
land from Nicholas Low and built a log cabin a few rods north of the present Stone house.
Major Daniel Talcott raised and equipped the first uniform light infantry in the 55th regiment.
Called in Frontier defense during war of 1812 several times including in the Battle of 1813.
Daniel Talcott died August 16th 1861. His son Nathan was next owner and then John Metcalf and then
the Green family who sold it to Dr. Richmond.

 

BELOW:

Adams...Route 11. Built in 1823 this beautiful Stone house one of the oldest in Jefferson County once
owned by Harrison Fuller a well-known New York assemblyman has recently been sold to
William Elliott of Adams by town in Farmland Realty. The former owners were Harris and Jenny Bezner.
It is located on the Watertown Road just north of the halfway house owned by dr. and Mrs. John E Richmond.
The house was vacant for several years